(Collected Editions is a listing of the various trade paperbacks, hardcovers, omnibuses, etc. that are in my Superman collection. The goal is to not only inventory my collection of trades, hardcovers, etc. but also to display said collection and produce something resembling a resource for other Superman readers, collectors and fans.)
- Released on February 12, 2003
- Original price $14.95
- 192 Pages
- Cover by Duncan Rouleau and Marlo Alquiza
- Pranked! from Adventures of Superman #579
- All Fall Down from Superman: The Man of Steel #101
- Metropolica from Superman: Metropolis Secret Files #1
- D.O.A. from Action Comics #766
- Critical Condition Part One: Little Big Man from Superman #158
- Critical Condition Part Two: Green Universe from Adventures of Superman #580
- Critical Condition Part Three: Inside Superman from Superman: The Man of Steel #102
- Critical Condition Part Four: Death’s Door from Action Comics #767
- Critical Condition is my least favorite volume in this series.
- It’s not that the stories were necessarily bad. In fact the search for Lois aspect of the story was rather gripping back in 2000. There was a lot of drama there and I liked the team-up with Batman.
- It’s the actual Critical Condition portion leaves me kind of cold. Sure it was neat to see the creators bring a bunch of seemingly disparate story elements from the start of this era together and paid them off but the whole shrinking heroes thing did nothing for me.
- There are some cool twists and turns but over all I just didn’t care for it all that much.
- This trade reprints a story from the Superman: Metropolis Secret Files and Origins special that came out shortly after the Y2K storyline. For those of you not familiar with Secret Files and Origins they were these cool one shots that DC started kicking out around 1997 that combined the old Secret Origins series with Who’s Who and made a series that wasn’t quite as awesome as each of those but was cool nonetheless. It was nice to see that the powers that be decided to include some of that into this trade.
- They’ll do more of that in the next volume.
To follow this particular line of trades follow the rest of the books in the series…