(Collected Editions is a listing of the various trade paperbacks, hardcovers, omnibuses, etc. that are in my Superman collection. The goal is to not only inventory my collection of trades, hardcovers, etc. but also to display said collection and produce something resembling a resource for other Superman readers, collectors and fans.)
- Released on December 4, 1996
- Original price $5.95
- 64 pages
- Cover by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson
- Introduction by Paul Kupperberg
- Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow Part 1 from Superman (Vol. 1) #423
- Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow Part 2 from Action Comics #583
- Superman in “Superman”
- Superman in Action
- The cover to this reprint is a recolored version of the splash page to Superman (Vol. 1) #423.
- The introduction by Paul Kupperberg details the genesis of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and is peppered with some great pictures of Julius Schwartz, Jerry Siegel, Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson and Kurt Schaffenberger from around the time period this story came out. One picture has Curt Swan ceremoniously passing the pencil to John Byrne, who was taking over Superman for the Post Crisis era.
- The issues are both recolored and look amazing.
- Superman in “Superman” and Superman in Action were text pieces that appeared in the Superman and Action issues respectively. These pieces detailed the histories of Superman and Action Comics as comic series and are quite fascinating. It was cool that the powers that be decided to give the reader a sense that these titles had been around for some time and that Whatever Happened was a big deal as it closed the door on the Pre-Crisis version of Superman.
- When I bought this back in 1997 it was the first time I read this story from start to finish.