ACTION COMICS 277, June 1961, was published around April 27, 1961. It contained 32 pages still for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
- The 12 page Superman story was titled THE CONQUEST OF SUPERMAN, written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte. This story was reprinted in 80 PAGE GIANT 11, June 1965 (which we will cover in a later episode) and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
- Supergirl starred in the 12 page story, THE BATTLE OF THE SUPER PETS, which was featured on this issue’s cover, and was written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was Siegel’s 40th silver age Superman Family story, and his 69th overall for this era, and was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Since the last episode we covered a Jerry Siegel written story, he also wrote THE SUPER COP OF SMALLVILLE for SUPERBOY 89, June 1961. Siegel also wrote two stories for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 53, also June 1961, THE BOY IN THE BOTTLE and THE GIANT TURTLE MAN (which featured Jimmy’s first transformation into Turtle Boy).
This episode will also highlight the other ads and features in this issue, as well as the 2 page METROPOLIS MAILBAG.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 28 titles carried the June, or June/July 1961 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics at http://dcindexes.com.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY 1958: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 3 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 95!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY 1961: SUPERMAN 146 & ACTION COMICS 278!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!