Now that MegaCon is over, we’re returning through the time barrier to pick up our journey through the silver age adventures of Superman, and finishing our look at the Superman titles cover dated January 1963.
SUPERMAN ANNUAL 6, cover dated Winter 1962 – 1963, was published on November 15, 1962 (5 years later this date would be when my sister was born). It contained 80 pages for the cover price of a quarter. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– THE FIRST TWO SUPERMAN (13 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley. This story was originally published in ADVENTURE COMICS 257, February 1959, released around December 30, 1958. (I mistakenly stated that the cover date was February 1958, and the release date was around December 30, 1957.)
– THE FIRST SUPERGIRL (10 pgs.), was part I of the 3-part story THE GIRL OF STEEL, originally published in SUPERMAN 123, August 1958, released around June 17, 1958. This story was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye, and was covered in Episode 168 for the week of Wednesday, March 2, 2011..
– SUPERMAN’S KID BROTHER (8 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley, originally published in SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 19, March 1957, released around January 15, 1957. This story was covered in Episode 212 for the week of January 4, 2012.
– THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (11 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino, originally published in ADVENTURE COMICS 247, April 1958, released around February 27, 1958 (which would be my son’s birthday in 1990).
– LOIS LANE WEDS ASTOUNDING MAN (9 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder (according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics), while comics.org credits Jerry Siegel as the writer. Both sources agree on the penciller, Kurt Schaffenberger.
– THE MYSTERY OF MIGHTY BOY (19 pages), was written by Otto Binder and drawn by George Papp, originally published in SUPERBOY 85, December 1960, released on October 6, 1960.
– THE SUPERMAN OF THE PAST (9 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, originally published in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 19, August 1960, released on June 28, 1960.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JANUARY 1963: ACTION COMICS 296!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1960 PART I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 43!
In 3 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1960 PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 108!
In 1 Month: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1963 PART I: SUPERMAN 159!
In 5 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1963 PART II: ACTION COMICS 297!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!