WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 109, May 1960, was published around March 3, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. They were also the art team for the Superman / Batman story in this issue.
- The 12 page Superman / Batman story was titled, THE BEWITCHED BATMAN, written by Jerry Coleman. NOTE: In the episode I mistakenly said that Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and Comic Book Database.com credited Jerry as the writer, while the Grand Comic Book Database listed the writer as unknown. This story has been reprinted in BATMAN ANNUAL 5 (1963), WORLD’S FINEST ARCHIVES vol. III, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I and BATMAN ANNUALS vol. II (2010). I forgot to mention the reprints in the podcast.
- Tommy Tomorrow starred in the 7 page story titled, THE AMAZING ASTEROID HIDEOUT, drawn by Jim Mooney.
- Green Arrow starred in the 6 page story titled, PRISONERS OF THE GIANT BUBBLE, written by Ed Herron and drawn by Lee Elias. This story has been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: GREEN ARROW vol. I.
Also highlighted in this episode are the ads and other features in this issue.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MAY 1960 PART II: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 17!
The next two episodes will feature the Superman comic books cover dated April 1963: Part I features SUPERMAN 160 and part II will feature ACTION COMICS 299!
We will return to the Superman Family of titles cover dated June 1960 with Part I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 15 and Part II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 110!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
- COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!