Last week ComicBook.com broke the story that Superman is getting another costume change. If you haven’t read that piece do so now because there’s a neat video that goes along with it. Plus Russ Burlingame is a friend and does tremendous work for that site.
Anyway, I had some first impressions on the costume and thought I would share them here. Before I get into those thoughts I wanted to make a few things clear.
- I am a traditionalist when it comes to Superman. I prefer the classic look with the trunks.
- Having written that, I am not adverse to change. I used to be but that’s why I say I’m a traditionalist and not a purist.
- I don’t have issues with those that are purists when it comes to the Man of Steel as long as they are reasonable about it but personally I feel that the costume can be tweaked and not be the end of the world.
- I was not a fan of the New 52 costume but it grew on me or at the very least I grew to accept that it happened and that there wasn’t a thing I could do about it. I never liked the black S on the cape but the overall look wasn’t terrible. Unnecessarily busy but not terrible.
- I did like the costume from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I thought it looked good on screen and kept enough of the traditional elements that I could overlook that horrible midsection.
- I liked the Rebirth costume…from the waist up. I never liked the blue boots. You could argue that that it hearkened back to the very first costume we saw in the comics but to me they looked like footie pajamas. I did like the fact that the S was more traditional and that they put the yellow S back on the cape.
So what do I think of the new look?
Short version; I like it.
Long version: The new belt reminds me of what they were going for with the Tyler Hoechlin Superman costume from Supergirl. It’s not perfect but the shape of the belt works and I like the yellow detail in the front. Normally having the symbol or even the shield on the belt is an issue with me but I don’t mind it here. The boots are classic and fix that problem I had with the previous Rebirth outfit. Other than that it’s not all that different from what we’ve been seeing for the past six months. It’s an improvement and the best kind of upgrade.
Would I like to see the trunks return? Yes, but I don’t think that’s ever going to happen so my choices are accept that and move on or get so upset I do something silly like…oh I don’t know…blow up the timeline of one of the publishers of DC Comics with memes that border on the obsessive.
I’d rather not be angry all the time so I accept it and move on.
This image actually makes me happier than the previous one. The wedding. The birth of Jonathan. The shot of Superman flying over his friends at the Planet. Superman carrying the flag. Superman breaking free of Kryptonite chains. It’s all so classic even if the costume is more New 52 in places. More than anything that shirt rip makes me feel like a kid again. I am a mark for shirt rips. I have been since I was five years old and that will probably never change. This cover makes a lot of promises and I have every faith that Dan Jurgens and Peter Tomasi will keep those promises because they’ve been doing that for the past six months.
So that’s about it. I should have a post about the full April solicitations when they hit so keep an eye out for that.
A new costume. A better costume. A further step in the right direction.
I am a happy Superman fan.